Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Jane Kelsey-Mapel Head Cups

During my time student teaching, a guest artist was invited to come into our classroom to demonstrate how to make her head cups.   Jane Kelsey-Mapel is an Arizona artist who makes clay figures and portraits.  I love her style, because she doesn't try to hide the process, instead she emphasizes it.  She leaves her slab seams visible, and enhances them in the glazing stage. 

My high school students created their own head cups.  Some students made a portrait that resembled a real person, but most just allowed the head to develop on its own.


This is the green ware stage of the head cups.  I was a nervous wreck having all of these amazing art pieces on a rolling shelf to harden.  They look amazing at this stage, but once they came out of the kiln, and the students began to glaze them, WOW!







Each head cup was as unique as the student who created it.  I think Jane Kelsey-Mapel would have been really proud of the final results.  I know I was very proud of all the detail and hard work that went in to each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment